What is hard water? And how it affects our body?
Ever wondered whenever we go to any new place the quality of water differs, we can experience the changes not only in drinking water but also in other things consumption also. For example you must have heard people saying that their hair growth quality has been improved or deteriorated all because of water. Well here comes the role of hard and soft water on our body. Today in this blog we’ll be discussing about how hard water affects our body and health.
Now what is hard water?
In scientific terms, water hardness is generally the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in water. But in layman's terms, you may notice water hardness when your hands still feel slimy after washing with soap and water, or when your drinking glasses at home become less than crystal clear.
In fact our Drinking water can also contain minerals such as iron, magnesium, calcium, aluminum etc which is taken from the underground water, soil, lake, Dams etc. Now we can’t directly say that minerals are bad for you as they are equally essential. For example required amount of calcium in your water makes your bone strong. But harsh water sediments can also potentially carry harmful bacteria along with them. A 2014 study found hard water scaling is directly responsible for bacterial growth in residential drinking water.
Let us now understand how to identify if you have harsh water at your home?
- Taste of water changes, it starts smelling odd.
- You start getting strange stains in your sink for example.
- Your shower experience is affected for example when you shower than it becomes more difficult to wash all the soap off your body, leaving a film of soapy residue on your skin.
- You start feeling skin itching frequently.
- Your pipes keep getting clogged and in this way you’ll encounter frequent plumbing issues.
How hard water affects your body?
- It is one of the main reasons behind your hair fall as hard water is rich in magnesium, silica and other minerals can lead to hair dryness, breakage or dandruff related issues.
- It affects your kidney as consumption of harsh water is one of the factors behind kidney stones.
- Damage of nails and leading reason behind dry skin.
Consumption of hard water can really take a toll on your body and especially in our country where the water quality is very poor. Now to overcome such problem one should install a water purifier at their home and if possible they should have “POINT OF ENTRY” water filtration technique at their home.